Monday, December 8, 2008

My Dad in the Newspaper

I'm so proud of my dad and his business! He is a hard worker and taught me (at an early age in that very salon) to work hard as well. You are awesome dad, keep up the great work!! Here is an article from the Ravalli Republic:

Wes Matson has been styling hair in Hamilton for 30 years.
From the Farrah Fawcett look to the “Rachel” cut from Friends, he’s seen styles come and go since opening Hair with Style off the corner of State Street and S. Third St. Nov. 1, 1979.

“I went downtown and saw a lady walking around with rollers in her hair and something covering her head,” Matson said. “I was wondering if a hair stylist would be able to make it in this town.”

At the age of 20, Matson opened his two-chair salon and was booked solid within six months.
Thirty years and two locations later, Matson said he still styles hair for some of the same people he did when he first started.

“There’s still a couple of dozen people that are still with me from that first year I was open,” Matson said. “It’s neat. You need those people but you know there’s always turnover. You need both (new and old customers.) I’m fortunate to have that.”

Currently at 605 South First St., Hair with Style features Matson, two other stylists and a nail technician.

Though the sign out front may say walk-ins welcome, it’s hard to fit unplanned customers into their busy schedule.

“I’ve threatened to take down that sign for 10 years,” Matson said, laughing. “But you need all types of business.”

Walk-ins or booked appointments, Matson’s customers are one of his favorite aspects of the job.

“I like working with people,” Matson said. “It’s one of only a few business where you actually have to touch people. When you touch people you have a different connection with them. When you sit in a stylists’ chair, you’re giving them permission to be in your space ... building trust. I’ve had people tell me things they’ve never told anyone before. It’s an interesting business.”

Another one of Matson’s favorite parts of the job is that hair grows.

“It keeps business going. It’s always been said our business is recession proof” a smiling Matson said, adding he also likes the artistic part of it. “I like working with my hands. I’ve always liked sculpting. I feel like I sculpt on a day-to-day basis.”

Matson said what makes him different from other salons is the area is his years of experience.

“I understand hair,” Matson said. ‘I know how to read hair and I’m great at communication.”

Matson will continue to build on his experience and said he plans to continue styling hair for another decade.

“You’ve never heard of a barber retiring,” Matson said. “You don’t have to just quit. You can slow down a bit and just cut back a little bit.”

Hair with Style is open Monday through Friday. For appointments call 363-5109.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That is SO awesome!!!! I'm glad they did a story and recognized all of his talent! :)

Candace said...

He did my hair too!!! whoo hoo. how fun for your dad and family. miss you