Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Popcorn Kernel...


We had an interesting morning...
We usually go to the free movie at the theater, but today I just didn't feel like taking the kids and we had already seen Alvin and the Chipmunks anyway. So, I told Lexi and Ava that they could watch the movie they had picked out at the library yesterday and we would have our own movie day, just at home. So I made some popcorn and spread out their blankets on the floor and got them all settled. And I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get some scrapbooking done, so I got out some of my stuff. So time goes on and the movie is almost over and the popcorn is about gone. Ava comes up to me crying and saying, "Nose, nose, nose!" And I thought she just needed a Kleenex or something and I looked at her and did a double take... there was a popcorn seed stuck in her nostril!! So I'm thinking, ok... it's not that far up there, I can totally get it out, no worries. But yeah, she kept sniffing it up further because she was crying! I kept trying to get her to sniff out, but hello... she's 2 and just doesn't get that. So I have Lexi go get my tweezers and I'm trying to pop it out and it's just not working (not to mention I can't keep Ava still)... now I can't even see the thing. So I start freaking out and called Benj at work... he's not in his office, so I call his cell, thank goodness he answered. I tell him what's going on and he says, "Do you want me to come home?" YES!! So he came home and we got the little baby nose sucker thingy and worked on sucking it out. Pretty soon it's at the opening of her nostril and we could pop it out! PHEW!
I saw this kind of thing every now and then working in day care... kids getting beans stuck up their noses or putting stuff in their ears, but we were never allowed to attempt to get it out, you just had to call the parents and let them deal with it. But it's a little different being THE PARENT and having it happen to YOUR child. So yay for daddy for saving the day!

No comments: